Friday 4 April 2014

Week 10 - Sorting

This week we learned about something which we came across before in CSC108. Yes, we learned about different sorting algorithms.

We were introduced to different kinds of sorts (i.e. selection sort, insertion sort, bubble sort, merge sort, etc) last semester in CSC108. But now, we are learned about the implementation of these sorts and their run-times. At the beginning I seemed to enjoy the topic, but soon I realized that it is quite complicated. The main difficulty I faced was to keep up with the lecture. I had problems understanding the implementations of some of the sorts, and soon I got lost while Dan was speaking. This happened to me several times during the lecture this week.

I am currently reviewing the lecture slides to get a better understanding of the implementations of the different sorts. All the algorithms look quite complicated, especially the ones for quick sort and merge sort. I think I need to go to Dan during his office hours next week to get further help.

To be honest, this week has not been good for me. I couldn't make use of the lectures and failed to understand a lot of things during the lecture.

However, I started and finished part 2 of Assignment 2 which was posted last week. It involved a lot of recursion, and I am proud of myself that I finally got a hold on recursion!

Oh well, the marks for Assignment 1 got posted earlier this week, and I did pretty well! It was a great source of inspiration for me to work harder on Assignment 2.

So, finally we are done with both the assignments, and now it's high time that I start studying for the test which is coming up next week.

Hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment